Sunday, November 25, 2012

Kale Shakes

When I analyzed my diet I realized that it was lacking in vegetables. As a college student my diet is mostly on the go and dining out. I thought about where I get my veggies and it is usually lettuce/tomatoes on a sandwich. Not the best source. I follow an interesting personality on twitter named Joe Rogan, I also listen to his podcasts. He was the host of Fear Factor and is involved with the UFC; he started drinking Kale Shakes a while back and immediately felt the difference.



I will say this, I noticed a change in my energy levels. We are always hopped up on caffeine and sugar, so the Kale Shake is a good change of pace. I also noticed I was happier and more optimistic, although this could be purely psychological. The ingredients in Kale Shakes are high in antioxidants, the number one fighters against free radicals (cells that cause bad things to happen like cancer). Usually the greener the veggie the more antioxidants and kale is a dark dark green. Lets take a look at the ingredients


Ingredients for Kale Shakes:
1. 4 celery shoots
2. 1 cucumber
3. 4 large slices of pineapple
4. 4 large leaves of organic kale (if small leaves eyeball 3 handfuls)
5. 2 cups of coconut milk (you can also use water)

(other recipes found online will contain ginger, garlic, etc. feel free to add that if you like).
Of course you use a blender, I found it was best to rotate between grind/blend. Usually it took 2-3 minutes to blend it into a purely liquid state.

Kale is rich in antioxidants, Vitamin A, C, and K, calcium and iron. It also contains protein! It truly is a superfood and is one of the most nutrition dense foods. Many experts believe that kale is a great way to prevent certain cancers and inflammation.


1 comment:

  1. Christian these Kale shakes are a great idea! I am very interested myself in make wheat grass shots. They are equivalent to 2 lbs of the vegetable nutrients and are incredible for you. I encourage you to look into it

    ReplyDelete